Who can resist a bowl of hot, tangy, garlicky Asian Garlic Noodles?
This Asian Garlic Noodle recipe is similar to the ones PF Changs had on its menu for years. My teenagers can’t get enough of these noodles, so I decided to experiment until I could make them at home. I think these are pretty close to the original recipe and quicker to make than getting take out!Jump to Recipe
How to make Asian Garlic Noodles:
The ingredient list for this garlic noodle recipe is a bit long however the sauce comes together quickly. I recommend measuring everything ahead of time because, like all stir fry’s, this recipe goes fast once it starts cooking.
If easier, mix the sauce ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for a few days, until ready to use. When you need a quick weeknight meal you just need to prepare your pasta and you have dinner ready!
- Prepare noodles as directed but cook to ‘al dente’ since they will be stir-fried later
- In a large pan, heat oil to medium-high, and quickly sauté the garlic
- Add vinegar and sugar and cook about 30-seconds to dissolve
- Return the cooked noodles to the pan, shake to coat, and remove to a bowl
- Add all the sauce ingredients to the pan and whisk to combine. Heat on medium-high until thickened, about 1 minute
- Return the noodles back to the pan and stir fry until the sauce is completely absorbed, about 2-minutes
- Toss well and serve garnished with cilantro and sesame seeds
What type of noodles to use:
Traditionally, this is made with fresh Chinese noodles but it works equally well with spaghetti or angel hair pasta if that is what you have on hand.
The noodles are made first, removed from the pan while the sauce comes together, and then put back in for a second stir fry. For that reason, I recommend cooking the noodles al dente – about 1 minute short of normal cooking time.
Serving Garlic Noodles:
Add sesame seeds to the noodles before serving because it will enhance the taste and add a nice texture. If you are not a cilantro fan substitute chopped Italian parsley.
How to make garlic noodles a meal:
If you want to turn this recipe into a meal simply add some grilled chicken slices, sauteed medium-sized shrimp, or 1″ sauteed pieces of sauteed tofu. It’s also delicious with some added vegetables, such as zucchini or mushrooms.
Suggestions for Wine Pairings:
These noodles will pair well with a light to medium-bodied white wine. Dry to semi-dry is always a nice choice with Asian food because of the contrast with the salty and sweet flavors. Look for any available vintages of the following:
Your weekday wine:
- Blanchet Pouilly Fume Sauvignon Blanc, Loire Valley, France
- Domaine Toussaint Vouvray Chenin Blanc, France
Your weekend wine:
- Lieu Dit Chenin Blanc, Santa Ynez Valley, California
- La Poussie Sancerre Blanc, France
- J Christopher Sauvignon Blanc, Willamette Valley, Oregon
A special occasion wine:
- Domaine Huet Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux, France
- Alphonse Mellot Les Romains Sancerre Blanc, France
Garlic Noodles Recipe
- 16 ounces spaghetti or Chinese noodles cooked al dente
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp red chile flakes, or to taste
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare noodles as directed on the package, but cook them al dente as they will be cooking twice, and drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add garlic and saute until golden but not brown, about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add vinegar and sugar, stir to combine and cook for another 30 seconds or until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the noodles to the pan and shake to coat well. Remove the noodles to a large bowl. Set aside.
Making the sauce:
- Add all sauce ingredients to the pan and whisk to combine. Heat on medium-high until the sauce has thickened in the pan, about 1-minute.
Finishing the noodles:
- Add the noodles back to the pan and stir fry with the sauce until the sauce is completely absorbed. About 2 minutes.
- Toss thoroughly and serve. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.