Slow cooker bacon jam is salty and sweet with caramelized onions and maple syrup
What is Bacon Jam?
Bacon Jam is slow-cooked smoky bacon and sweet onions that caramelize, while cooking, with maple syrup, into a salty sweet condiment.
Bacon Jam is the most wonderful appetizer when it’s spread on top of a crostini but is also perfect in many other dishes.
We love to smear this jam on a juicy grilled hamburger to make a bacon jam burger. Try it in place of regular bacon on a BLT sandwich or on top of scrambled eggs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
If you want to make entertaining easy be sure you have a few appetizers that take just 5-minutes to prepare. Easy appetizers make parties and gatherings so much less stressful, and give you time to enjoy your own party!
This easy bacon onion jam recipe is perfect for gatherings because you prepare it ahead of time in the slow cooker. Simply sauté the bacon and onions and the you can finish the rest, hands-off, in the slow cooker. Bacon is always a hit!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Bacon Jam:
- Sweet Yellow Onions
- Light Brown Sugar
- Brewed Coffee or Espresso
- Apple Cider (or white) Vinegar
- Maple Syrup
Quality counts so be sure to use 100% real maple syrup, not artificially flavored syrup. You can substitute white vinegar however, if possible, use apple cider vinegar. Not only does it taste great, but it’s also really good for you.
How to make Slow Cooker Bacon Jam:
This recipe is super simple to make with these instructions and tips:
- Cut the bacon into 1/2″ pieces. The bacon will shrink as it cooks but you’ll want to start with bigger pieces
- Slice the onions thinly to ensure even cooking. Sweet yellow onions work best for this recipe because they help balance out the salty flavor of the bacon.
- Sauté the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned but not crispy
- Transfer bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel
- Pour off all but one Tablespoon of the drippings from the skillet
- Add the onions and crushed garlic, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes
- Mix in brown sugar and cook for one minute until the sugar is melted
- Add water, brewed coffee, vinegar, and maple syrup and stir to combine
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan
- Add bacon back to the pan and mix everything well to combine.
- Pour into the slow cooker
- Cook uncovered on high for about 4 hours until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of jam and is syrupy
- Serve or store in glass jars
How to store and give jam as a gift:
The best way to store easy slow cooker bacon jam is in glass jars. The jam is rich so using smaller 4-6 ounce jars is a good idea, since a little goes a long way. This jam keeps for 1 month in the refrigerator. It tastes best at room temperature or warmed slightly.
I use the 6-ounce wider mouth jars, which you can find on Amazon. This is the perfect gifting size. Attach a note, with ideas for use, and you’ve got an ideal gift. Who doesn’t loves bacon!
How to use Bacon Jam:
There are so many great ways to enjoy this easy jam so try a few!
- Crostini topped with goat cheese/blue cheese and topped with jam. For easy instruction on making perfect crostini see our Bruschetta post.
- Slather on our warm Baking Powder Biscuits
- Dollop on top of waffles with warm maple syrup
- On top of our Buttermilk Pancakes
- Perfect spread on a BLT sandwich
- Great on a juicy grilled burger
- Smother on top of herbed chicken breasts
- Top a glazed pork roast with a layer of bacon jam
- Wrap prosciutto around asparagus spears, brush with bacon jam. and broil until browned
- Top your toast with jam and avocado
- Make a bacon jam pizza
- Perfect as an added layer to a grilled cheese sandwich
Easy Slow Cooker Bacon Jam
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs Bacon, thick-cut, cut into ½" pieces
- 2 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup vinegar, white or apple cider
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook until lightly browned but not crispy.
- With a slotted spoon transfer bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel. Pour off all but one tablespoon of drippings from the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook for one minute until sugar is melted.
- Add water, coffee, vinegar, and maple syrup. Mix to combine. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add bacon and stir to combine. Transfer mixture into the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker temperature to high.
- Cook uncovered on high for about 4 hours until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of jam and syrupy.
- Serve or use immediately, or let cool and pack into glass jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. This jam tastes best at room temperature or slightly warm.