This Turkey Tacos Recipe is perfect for busy households! Who doesn’t love Taco Tuesday? It might sound like a basic meal but there are a few tricks and tips that will help you make it more than just routine.
Along with our turkey tacos recipe, we have added our homemade Taco Seasoning recipe here, as well, and I think once you make your own you will be hooked.Jump to Recipe
Make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning:
The beauty of making your own homemade taco seasonings mix is the ability to tweak it to make it your own. I make 2 versions – one spicy and one medium spicy. If you like it hot, just add more cayenne! If you are watching your sodium just omit the salt. Most packaged mixes have a lot of salt and stabilizers in them. If you like to eat gluten-free this is a great mix for you. It can easily be doubled or tripled.
How to make Turkey Tacos with real flavor:
Simple tips for making the best ground turkey tacos:
- Cook the meat while you are chopping veggies to make it a quick meal. When using turkey, rather than beef, make sure to add water with your seasonings to give it added moisture, since turkey has little fat.
- Use super fresh vegetables and dice the tomatoes small.
- Substitute shredded cabbage in place of the lettuce to give the turkey tacos an extra crunch.
- Fill the bottom of hard shell tacos with a sprinkling of cheese before you bake the shells for 3-4 minutes. The melted cheese at the bottom of the shell helps prevent it from breaking while you are eating.
- Prep all veggies, shredded cheese, and hot sauces ahead of time.
- Put them on a large platter to let everyone serve themselves.
Suggestions for Beverage Pairings:
As avid wine lovers, we believe wine is always a good choice. However, often we come across a dish that pairs better with a different beverage. Tacos are one of those exceptions!
- Your favorite Mexican Beers are always a great pairing with Tacos. Our favorites include Tecate, Pacifico, Sol, Modelo Especial, and a Corona with lime.
- Your favorite Margarita! Make a great classic margarita on the rocks or throw it in the blender and make a slush. Adding different flavors to your margarita’s can also be a fun way to serve them.
Other great recipes to try:
Turkey Tacos Recipe
- 16 oz Ground Turkey (or ground beef), 80-85% lean
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups lettuce, iceberg shredded
- 2 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- Salsa, any brand
- 10 Hardshell tacos
- In a large saute pan add ground turkey and cook over medium heat until all pink coloring is gone. If there is excess oil, drain. Add water and taco seasoning mix and stir well to coat. Turn heat to medium-low and continue to cook until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add more seasoning if desired.
- Heat oven to 350°F, or according to directions on the box, for crisp shells.
- Shred the cheese, chop the lettuce and cut the tomatoes into small dice. Set aside.
- Fill each shell with a small sprinkling of cheese and put on a baking sheet. Heat in oven for about 4 minutes. Remove.
- Fill each taco shell with about 2 tablespoons of meat, 2 tablespoons of lettuce and top with shredded cheese, cilantro and tomatoes. Add salsa as desired. Serve.