Our zesty, tangy Blue Cheese Dip is the perfect partner for appetizers
Zesty Buffalo Chicken Tenders pair perfectly with Blue Cheese Dip
Ingredients needed for Blue Cheese dip
Making this simple dip from scratch is quick and easy. Using fresh ingredients is always a healthier alternative to any store-bought dressing or dip, and tastes so much better!
Sometimes you will see this dipping sauce called Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dip, because of it’s tangy buttermilk flavor.
Here is what you will need:
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
How to make Blue Cheese Dip from scratch!
This recipe could not be simpler and if you’ve never made homemade blue cheese dip for wings or tenders you will wonder why after putting this quick recipe together.
If you have time, it’s a good idea to make this dip ahead of time. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 days, and as a result the longer the flavors marry the better this dip tastes. It’s the perfect make-ahead recipe.
- In a medium-size bowl combine everything, except the blue cheese and chives – sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper
- Blend together until smooth
- Add in the crumbled blue cheese and stir until smooth
- Chill until ready to serve and top with chopped chives
- Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice in this recipe – it makes all the difference in the world. Bottled lemon juice has additives in it that make it taste a little ‘off’.
What type of blue cheese to use:
We recommend using a nice tangy Stilton blue cheese.
You can substitute with Gorgonzola, Maytag, or a Danish Blue if you prefer something a little milder. We like to buy a wedge of blue cheese and crumble it ourselves, but you can use pre-crumbled, as well to save time.
What is the difference between a Dip and a Dressing?
Both have similar ingredients but generally dressing is thinner. You could use this dip recipe as a base and add more buttermilk (or milk) until you get to the consistency that you want for dressing.
Great matches for this Homemade Dip:
- The ultimate use of this Blue Cheese Dip is our amazing boneless Buffalo Chicken Tenders or our Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
- Blue cheese pairs beautifully with most fruits so consider using it as a dipping sauce for figs, apples, and pears
- Perfect for a fresh vegetable tray with cut veggies such as celery, carrots, broccoli, and scallions
- Drizzle over roasted baby potatoes and roasted vegetables
- Amazing drizzled on a steak or burger
- A great topper on baked or Hasselback potatoes
Blue Cheese Dip Recipe
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbled
- ½ tsp chives for garnish
- In a medium-size bowl mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Blend together until smooth.
- Add in crumbled blue cheese. Stir together until well blended.
- Chill for several hours before serving. The dip gets better the longer it chills.
- Garnish with chopped chives before serving