This hot fudge sauce recipe is creamy and decadent but super simple to make in just 10 minutes!
I am a big believer that hot fudge is the very best topping for ice cream. In fact, I could just skip the ice cream altogether and eat homemade hot fudge sauce straight up!
If you love the idea of making quick and easy hot fudge sauce then this is the one for you. It’s thick but still pourable so great on top of ice cream, drizzled over brownies, or blended into milk.
This homemade sauce is super quick because it has no cream but instead uses cornstarch as a thickener. I make it in a pan, but you can make it in 5-minutes in the microwave! (Directions for the microwave version is included in the recipe card below).
What’s the difference between Hot Fudge and Chocolate Sauce?
Hot fudge is thick and rich, and usually has dairy, such as butter or cream. Our hot fudge sauce recipe is easy to pour even when chilled, but even better when warmed up. Chocolate sauce is thinner and usually has more water and corn syrup.
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Fudge
This recipe uses ingredients you probably have on hand:
- High quality dark cocoa powder
- Vanilla Extract – make your own like we do!
How to make homemade Hot Fudge Sauce with Cocoa Powder:
This recipe is super quick and easy to make. It’s ready in 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Whisk until no lumps remain
- Add the water and blend well
- Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken, for about 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until completely melted
- Whisk in the vanilla extract
Storing and reheating
If not using right away, keep this fudge sauce stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I suggest using a canning jar. It will keep for about 1 month if you can resist eating it for that long!
To reheat simply rewarm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Let cool slightly before pouring over ice cream.
Other amazing desserts to try:
- Easy Salted Caramel Sauce
- Mixed Berry Cobbler
- One Bowl Espresso Brownies
- Baked Churro Donuts
- Best Ever Cowboy Cookies
Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and sea salt until no lumps remain.
- Add water and whisk until combined.
- Bring mixture to a low boil over medium heat stirring constantly for about 1 minute, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and butter. Whisk until smooth and butter is completely melted.
- Pour sauce into a heat-proof jar and let cool. If not using right away, let cool completely and store tightly sealed in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, place the amount needed in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water and whisk until smooth.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir, and microwave 1 more minute.
- Add the butter pieces. Cook for an additional 45-seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir until butter is melted and blended. Stir in vanilla extract.