One-Bowl Pumpkin Spice Cookies are loaded with chocolate chips and drizzled with pumpkin spice glaze just say “Welcome Fall”
These soft cookies are chock full of Fall flavors including cinnamon, spices and pure pumpkin puree
We have to admit that we love pumpkins! So, when Fall rolls around we start looking for ways to use pumpkin whenever possible. These soft Pumpkin Spice Cookies are cake-like so they stay moist for days.
Pumpkin cookies are light and fluffy, almost like a pumpkin muffin top! The dough is easy to make in one-bowl and doesn’t need to be chilled. We prefer to make the cookies smaller, but you can make them larger. Drizzling them with a warm cinnamon pumpkin glaze is the finishing touch!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our affiliate disclosure for more details.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cookies
These delicious little cookies have all the flavors most associated with Fall. Think: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Make our homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice mixture, if possible, because it’s so easy and includes spices you likely have in your spice rack. Our Pumpkin Pie Spice will really boost the flavor of these cookies!
- Pumpkin Puree – Be sure you are using pure pumpkin puree, rather than pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling has added sweeteners, and more liquid, that you won’t need for these cookies.
- Butter – we use unsalted butter
- Vanilla – we like to use our own Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – make your own or buy in any spice section
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt
- Chocolate Chips – always optional but highly recommended!
- Pumpkin Spice Glaze – which includes powdered sugar, pumpkin spice and milk
The cookies can be made with other add-ins besides chocolate chips, such as dried cranberries or chopped pecans. Anything that works with pumpkin is perfect so get creative!
How to make Pumpkin Cookies from scratch:
The dough for these cookies comes together quickly in one bowl
- Make the Pumpkin Spice Mixture if making your own and set aside
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy – about 2-3 minutes. The butter should be very light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat for additional 2 minutes
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and blend well, then add pumpkin puree and mix until completely combined
- Slowly add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, Pumpkin Pie Spice mixture and flour. Mix until just combined but DON’T over mix
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and mix by hand
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat non-stick liner. If you don’t have any parchment on hand be sure to spray your baking sheet with non-stick spray
- Drop the cookies onto the tray using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop. The dough will be sticky so we suggest using a cookie scoop, if possible
- Bake for 10-11 minutes
- Let the cookies rest for about 1-minute before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely before adding the glaze
How to make easy Pumpkin Glaze
Whisk together sifted powdered sugar, pumpkin spice or pumpkin syrup, and milk in a bowl until smooth.
Put the cooling rack of cookies over a baking sheet to catch the extra drizzle. Spoon glaze over cookies in a back and forth motion and let dry for about 30-minutes.
Note: The glaze does not set completely hard so if you are planning to transport the cookies somewhere it’s better to leave them without glaze.
Cookies are generally easy to make and there are a few tools that will make it even easier. Here are a few of my favorite tools for making cookies:
More great cookies and desserts to try:
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie – a classic recipe with a fun twist
- Easy Blondie Bars – an easy treat with a brown sugar flavor
- Dark Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – a traditional deep dark chocolate cookie packed with flavor
Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7.5 ounces pumpkin puree, (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Pumpkin Spice Glaze:
- 1 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Spice Syrup, or 2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix just until combined. Add pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
- Slowly add baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and flour. Mix until just combined, but do not overmix. Gently fold in chocolate chips, by hand. (The dough will be sticky)
- Drop cookies onto parchment-lined sheets by the tablespoon, or use a cookie scooper.
- Bake for about 10-11 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch and the tops are dry. Rest on baking sheet for about 1-minute and then remove to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
Pumpkin Spice Glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, pumpkin spice syrup or mix, and 1 Tablespoon of milk, until the sugar dissolves completely. Add more powdered sugar if too thin or more milk if too thick.
- Place the cookies on a cooling rack with the baking sheet underneath to catch the excess glaze. Spoon glaze over cookies in a back and forth motion. Let dry for about 30-minutes.