Ready to start making your own easy pumpkin spice syrup?
The world is crazy for Pumpkin Spice Lattes so I started researching the ingredients to make them at home. Sometimes that craving hits but you just don’t want to get out of your pajamas!
I love homemade cappuccinos and lattes because they are so easy and economical to make in your own kitchen. Pumpkin Spice Lattes are super simple too after you make this syrup.
Making your own is a healthier option than store-bought brands. There are no artificial ingredients in this 5 ingredient syrup, whereas commercial products have high fructose corn syrup as the main ingredient.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
- Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Puree (be sure to use puree, not pumpkin pie mix)
- Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – homemade (see below) or purchase a good quality store version.
I like to make my own Pumpkin Pie Spice blend every Fall. It’s easy with just 6 spices blended together that you likely have on hand. It’s like Fall in a jar!
You can also make and use your own Homemade Vanilla Extract for the syrup with just 2 ingredients. We provide easy to follow instructions.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
This recipe could not be easier to put together because it takes just 5 minutes to gather the ingredients and 5 minutes to cook.
- Gather all ingredients and add everything (except vanilla) to a medium saucepan
- Bring to a quick boil and simmer over medium heat for 4 minutes
- Stir until all of the brown sugar is dissolved
- Add vanilla and whisk well, simmering for an additional 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes
- Whisk again and strain to remove any solids
- Cool completely and store in a glass jar, refrigerated, for up to 2 months
Combine all ingredients together (except vanilla) and cook
Making a thicker Syrup:
If you want a thicker syrup to use for pancakes, waffles or french toast just return to a clean pan, heat, and reduce down to the desired thickness
Using Pumpkin Spice Syrup in recipes:
The possibilities are endless but here are some of my favorite ways to use this syrup:
- Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Our Buttermilk Pancakes are great with this syrup drizzled on top
- Pumpkin syrup on waffles or French Toast
- Pumpkin syrup brushed on your carrot cake before frosting it
- Make a Pumpkin Glaze – just use the syrup in place of water with powdered sugar
- Add to your coffee or hot chocolate for a Fall kick
- Make our Pumpkin Spice Martini
- Make a compound pumpkin butter
- Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes
This syrup would make an excellent little gift for a pumpkin loving friend, in a small bottle, with a ribbon.
Once cooked and cooled you can keep the syrup in the refrigerator, sealed in a glass jar, for at least 2 months.
Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Making the syrup
- Combine all ingredients, except vanilla, in a medium pan. Whisk to blend.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Make sure all of the sugar is dissolved.Add vanilla and simmer 1 more minute.
- Into a medium bowl strain the syrup through a very fine strainer, or a strainer with cheesecloth set inside. Discard the solids.
- Pour into a mason jar and allow to cool. Seal tightly and refrigerate.
For a thicker syrup:
- If you want a thicker syrup, return to a clean pan and reduce on low heat until desired thickness.