Ready for the taste of restaurant-style stir fry Broccoli and Beef without the hassle of leaving the house?
This recipe is fast and easy but packs a lot of flavor in every bite!
This beef and broccoli stir fry recipe is a classic and will remind you of your favorite take out from the best Chinese restaurant. The stir fry sauce is super savory and silky and the beef is tender.
This easy stir fry is perfect served with steamed rice. We like to make this dinner year-round, but it is especially nice in the warm summer months because you don’t have to turn on the oven, and the broccoli is in peak season.Jump to Recipe
Ingredients for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- Beef – we like filet, flank or skirt steak
- Broccoli – this is the traditional vegetable but any green vegetable will work
- Garlic and Ginger – essential for any stir fry
- Beef broth – great for added flavor
- Oyster sauce – a dark brown sauce common in Asian cooking
- Sesame oil – we use it for the marinade sauce and for cooking
- Soy sauce – perfect for adding umami to stir frys
- Sugar – to balance the flavors
- Salt and Pepper
- Cornstarch – this is what thickens the sauce
- Sesame seeds – toasted is our preference because they have deeper flavor
How to make Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- Prepare the marinade sauce by blending the beef broth, oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper and set aside
- Chop the broccoli into florets
- Slice the steak into thin strips across the grain
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and set aside
- In a wok or large sauté pan heat the oil until it shimmers
- Add the broccoli and stir fry for 3-5 minutes (depending on how crisp you prefer your broccoli)
- Add the chopped garlic and ginger to the broccoli and sauté for one more minute and then remove from the pan and set aside
- If needed, add more oil, and then sauté the beef until browned, stirring constantly
- Add broccoli back to the pan, add marinade sauce, and stir to combine
- Stir fry for about 1 minute and then add the cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil to let the sauce thicken
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving
Stir fry tips and tricks:
- Prep all ingredients before you cook. Stir fry is a fast process and you won’t have time to be slicing and measuring once you begin
- If you are making rice, start it ahead of time so everything finishes at the same time
- Super cold is easier to slice thinly
- Pat the beef dry before you stir fry otherwise it will steam instead of developing a nice caramelization
- The oil should be very hot. You want the meat to sizzle when it hits the pan!
- Cornstarch is a must for developing a nice, thick, velvety sauce
- Cut all the broccoli the same size to ensure even cooking
Substitutions for broccoli:
Try adding or substituting other vegetables such as:
- green beans
- thinly sliced mushrooms
Make it a meat-free stir fry
- To make a meat-free version substitute firm tofu, cut into 1″ pieces, for the beef. Replace the beef stock with vegetable stock. The flavor will be different but still delicious!
Serving stir fry broccoli and beef:
Stir fry dinners cook up super quick so do yourself a favor and have all of your serving plates and bowls ready to go. We usually serve this easy stir fry with steamed white rice and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Add a fresh light salad such as our Strawberry Spinach Salad to round off your dinner.
Suggested Wine Pairings
This dish pairs well with low tannin red wines, along with off-dry Rieslings which are good all-around wines. You can also mix things up with an Asian beer such as Tsingtao or Sapporo. Look for any available vintages of the following:
Your weekday wine will take you into the weekend:
- Roth Estate Heritage Red, Sonoma, California
- Trefethen Dry Riesling, Napa Valley.
A special occasion wine:
- Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
- Karthauserhof Riesling Trocken Grosses Gewachs, Germany.
Other quick recipes you might like:
- Spicy Szechuan Green Beans
- Chipotle Pan Roasted Shrimp
- Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Tomatoes
- Asian Coleslaw with Peanut Dressing
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1½ lbs flank steak or filet, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 2½ cups broccoli, small florets
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or 1 tsp dry ginger)
- ⅓ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl mix the beef broth, oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set aside
- In a small bowl add the cornstarch and stir in the water until combined. Set aside
- Over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add broccoli florets and stir fry about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry another minute. Be sure to shake the pan so the garlic does not burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil and turn the heat up to high. Once the oil is shimmering add the beef and stir fry about 4 minutes or until beef is browned. Stir often.
- Add broccoli mixture back to pan and heat thoroughly. Add the marinade sauce mixture over broccoli and beef, and stir fry about 1 minute.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.