Compound Flavored Butter makes butter even better! With endless combinations of flavors, it will take your cooking to the next level.
“If you’re afraid of butter, use cream,” said Julia Child.
What is compound butter?
Compound flavored butter is simply softened butter, with sweet or savory ingredients added in. Compound butter, also called flavored butter, is so easy and there are endless combinations!
Once you start making them you will be hooked. Below are 5 combinations for this recipe but keep in mind, these are just the beginning. We would love to hear what combinations you come up with for yours!
The Orange Honey Butter on top of our warm Classic Zucchini Bread is amazing.Jump to Recipe
How to make Compound Butter:
Be sure to start with softened butter and a pinch of salt in a bowl or a small food processor.
Add any of the combinations of flavors below or create your own!
Once mixed transfer the butter to a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper, or plastic wrap
Roll gently into a 5-6″ log
Twist the paper or plastic wrap at the ends to seal the butter. See the photo below.
Refrigerate for about 2 hours before using if you want to cut into coin-sized slices.
How long does flavored butter last?
The butter keeps in the refrigerator for 5 days, or freeze, well sealed, for up to 6 months. You can also put the butter in a ramekin before chilling if you are planning to serve with bread or rolls at dinner. Since I always make a few flavors at a time I always label each flavor before I store it in the freezer.
Once you are ready to use simply cut the amount you need into coin-shaped slices.
Favorite Flavor Combinations:
Here are a few of our favorite ways to use these compound butter combinations:
- Shallot Parsley Butter – Great on grilled steaks and warm bread
- Lemon Chive Butter – Perfect for vegetables and chicken
- Cilantro Lime Ginger Butter – Ideal for fish or Asian style vegetables
- Cajun Butter – Use on grilled shrimp, white fish, and salmon
- Orange Honey Butter – Amazing on biscuits, cornbread, zucchini bread, quick breads, and muffins
Our Baking Powder Biscuits taste even better with Orange Honey Butter!
We would love to hear what flavors you come up with for your compound butter!
Compound (Flavored) Butter
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 pinch sea salt
Shallot Parsley Butter
- 1 Tbsp shallots, dice
- 1 Tbsp Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Lemon Chive Butter
- 2 tsp chives, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp lemon zest
Cilantro Lime Ginger Butter
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp ground ginger, or 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Orange Honey Butter
- 1 Tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp honey
Add softened butter to a medium bowl or a small food processor and add a pinch of salt
Add in any of the above combinations and combine completely
- Once mixed, transfer onto on a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Shape gently into a log about 5-6" in length. Twist the paper or plastic wrap at the ends to seal the butter. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to a week, or place in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3-months. Note: You could also put the butter in a small ramekin, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours if you are serving at the table with warm bread or rolls.