Warm up this Fall with a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
This milkshake is family-friendly but you can spice it up for adults by adding a splash of bourbon!
Every Fall my teenagers start asking for Pumpkin Pie Shakes, so why not make them at home? I want their food to be as natural as possible, so this is a super quick treat. As the leaves start to turn, why not also treat the adults at the party with a pumpkin pie boozy shake?
How to make the perfect milkshake:
Every good milkshake starts with the same building blocks and this Pumpkin Pie Milkshake is no exception. My first job was making milkshakes at an ice cream store so I can honestly say I have probably made hundreds of milkshakes over time!
Milkshakes are super simple to make but there are some key tips that will make your shake perfect every time
- Use the best ingredients because there are only a few
- Every milkshake has 2 staples – ice cream and milk – the rest is just flavoring
- Use 2% milk or higher for the creamiest results, but never heavy cream (that will turn your shake into butter!)
- Always add the milk to the blender first, rather than the ice cream, because that will get the blender moving
- Make sure all ingredients are as cold as possible because once everything is blended the shake will automatically warm up
- Chill your glass ahead of time to keep your shake cold
- Milkshakes can be made with an immersion blender, as well as a regular blender
- Any small flavoring add-ins, such as sprinkles and chocolate chips, should be added in by hand at the end otherwise they will be pulverized by the blender
Use the best ingredients
- We make our shake with pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie blend, but either will work. Pumpkin pie blend is sweeter than pure pumpkin puree
- You can use either Pumpkin Pie Spice or Pumpkin Spice Syrup in this recipe but we like to use a combo of both!
- We use vanilla bean ice cream to add more flavor
- Want to make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice? Try our homemade blend!
How to make a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake:
- Chill glasses for serving
- In a blender add milk, pumpkin puree, either pumpkin spice or pumpkin spice syrup (or a little of both), and ice cream
- Blend on high for about 90 seconds or until very well blended
- If adding bourbon blend in now
- Pour into chilled glasses
- Add whipped cream topping
- Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
Looking for a quick Pumpkin Spice Syrup?
Perfect Milkshake Proportions:
These measurements will make about 2 cups of any flavor shake
- 1/3 cup milk – 2% or whole milk makes the creamiest shakes
- 1 1/2 cups Ice Cream
- Add-Ins – flavorings, fruits, syrups, candies
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree, cold
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice Syrup, or 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1½ cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 Tbsp whipped cream, optional
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon, optional
Note: If all of your ingredients are very cold you will have better success.
- Add milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice or syrup, and ice cream to a large blender and blend on high for about 1 minute.
- If adding bourbon add now and blend briefly
- Serve very cold and top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, if desired.