Warm up this Fall with a Pumpkin Pie Boozy Shake made with pumpkin puree, flavorful homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup, and a splash of bourbon! This milkshake can be made family-friendly by omitting the bourbon, of course.
Every Fall my teenagers start asking for Pumpkin Pie Shakes, so why not make them at home? I want their food to be as natural as possible, so this is a super quick treat. As the leaves start to turn, why not also treat the adults at the party with a pumpkin pie boozy shake.
Making the perfect milkshake:
Every good milkshake starts with the same building blocks and the Pumpkin Pie Boozy Shake is no exception. My first job was making milkshakes at an ice cream store so I can honestly say I have probably made hundreds of milkshakes over time!
Milkshakes are super simple to make but there are some key tips that will make your shake perfect every time.
- Use the best ingredients because the quality will really shine through in the milkshake
- Every shake has 2 staples – ice cream and milk – the rest is just flavoring
- Use 2% milk or higher for the creamiest results, but never heavy cream (that will turn your shake into butter!)
- Always add the milk to the blender first, rather than the ice cream, because that will get the blender moving
- Make sure all ingredients are as cold as possible because once everything is blended the shake will automatically warm up
- Chill your glass ahead of time to keep your shake cold
- Milkshakes can be made with an immersion blender, as well as a regular blender
- Any small flavoring add-ins, such as sprinkles and chocolate chips, should be added in by hand at the end otherwise they will be pulverized by the blender
Perfect Milkshake Proportions:
These measurements will make about 2 cups
- 1/3 cup milk – 2%, whole or a blend of milk and half & half
- 1 1/2 cups Ice Cream – vanilla usually works best
- Add-Ins – flavorings, fruits, syrups, candies
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
- ⅓ cup milk, 2% or higher works best
- ½ cup pumpkin puree, cold
- 1½ cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice Syrup, or 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon, optional
- 1 Tbsp whipped cream, optional
Note: If all of your ingredients are very cold you will have better success.
- Add everything to a large blender and blend on high for about 1 minute.
- Serve very cold and top with whipped cream, if desired.