Slow cooker pulled chicken is an easy way to pull together a delicious meal. Turn it into a sandwich and top with Asian Slaw for a cool twist.
The magic of the slow cooker is that you can assemble everything in the morning and have dinner ready without much hassle! There is only 5 ingredients for this recipe and you probably have them in your refrigerator and pantry right now!Jump to Recipe
Slow cooker instructions:
This recipe is super simple because you whisk together the sauce and then you put whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the slow cooker. If you have all day you can cook the chicken on low for about 8 hours, but I have made it on high for 4 hours with great success.
Once your chicken is finished you simply take it out of the slow cooker and it will easily shred by using two forks to pull it apart. Then put the chicken back in the slow cooker, combine with the sauce, and reheat for about 15 minutes.
Different ways to use Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken:
My favorite way to eat this chicken is to create a pulled chicken sandwich topped with Asian Coleslaw.
Start with a large bun that is sturdy enough to hold both the chicken and the slaw. I like a poppy seed, sesame seed, or an onion bun, but whole wheat works well too. Top the chicken with about 1/3 cup of Asian Coleslaw. The flavors really meld well together.
If you are cutting back on bread you can definitely just wrap this amazing chicken up in a big piece of sturdy lettuce, or put it right on your plate and top with the coleslaw.
- Use pork instead of chicken
- Create sliders with small rolls – this recipe will make 12 sliders
- Top with a spicy chipotle coleslaw
Suggestions for Beverage pairing:
We have several options for beverage pairing with this dish. A nice Asian beer is a nice accompaniment for the pulled chicken sandwich. Also, a light to medium bodied Chenin Blanc will be a good contrast to the sweet and salty flavors in the food.
Your weekday, weekend or special occasion selections:
- Asian beers: Tsingtao or Sapporo
- Chenin Blanc: Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc Viognier, California
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup water
- 6 large buns, such as poppy seed, onion or sesame seed
- 2 cups Asian coleslaw See recipe link below
- In medium bowl, whisk BBQ sauce, garlic, cumin, chili powder and water.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In a 4-quart slow cooker add whole chicken breasts and cover with BBQ mixture.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or 8 hours on low, or until chicken is very tender.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and add the chicken back to slow cooker, combining with sauce for about 15 minutes. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Prepare your favorite Asian slaw or use our recipe:
- Serve chicken on buns, topped with about ⅓ cup slawVariations: – Use pork instead of chicken– Use small rolls, such as Hawaiin Rolls, to make 12 sliders