Sweet Chili Sauce is a lightly spicy condiment with a garlicky kick
Perfect with so many of your favorite foods!
Also known as Thai Sweet Chili Sauce or Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce, it’s easy to find in most markets but super simple to make at home with no added preservatives.
What is Asian Sweet Chili Sauce?
This sauce is basically a condiment with a sweet hot blend of chiles and garlic. It’s simple to make but has a complex sweet, spicy, and sour taste. The sauce works with so many different foods so it’s always great to have it on hand. The spice level can be kicked up to suit any taste.
And the good news is this sauce is Gluten-Free!
Traditionally this side sauce is made with fresh red chili’s, which can be hard to find so we use Sambal Oelek in its place. Sambal is a common Southeast Asian ingredient made with chilis and vinegar.
Ingredients for Thai Chili Sauce:
The ingredients for the sauce are simple. If you like your sauce a little sweeter include the optional honey. Want more spice? Add more red chili flakes!
- Rice Vinegar
- Sambal Oelek – Use either the garlic or regular version for this recipe
- Fresh Minced Garlic
- Red Chili Flakes
- Honey (optional)
Easy ingredients for Sweet Asian-style Chili Sauce
Ideas for using Sweet Chili Sauce:
There are endless possibilities for using this flavorful sauce. It pairs perfectly with a variety of Asian based foods and is a good match for chicken, tofu, and shrimp. Try it with some of our favorites:
- Spring Rolls and Eggs Rolls
- Asian Dumplings
- Part of a stir fry
- Spread it on burgers and sandwiches
- Sweet Chili Corn on the Cob
Sweet Thai sauce pairs perfectly with Tempura Shrimp and Spring Rolls
How to make Sweet Chili Sauce:
- Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl and reserve
- In a small heavy saucepan whisk together rice vinegar, water, sugar, and Sambal Oelek, and heat until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce starts to bubble
- Whisk in the reserved cornstarch mixture, garlic, chili flakes, and optional honey
- Bring to a simmer again and cook an additional 5-10 minutes. The sauce will begin to thicken. Cook until mixture has the consistency of syrup.
- Cool before using and store in a glass jar until ready to use
- If not using right away store sealed in the refrigerator for up to one month.
How long can you keep the sauce?
You can keep this sauce, in a glass jar, sealed in the refrigerator for up to one month. Bring to room temperature before serving as a dipping sauce.
Looking for other Asian style recipes? Here are some favorites:
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp honey, optional
- Mix cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water together in a small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, add rice vinegar, water, sugar and sambal oelek. Whisk to blend.
- Heat ingredients on medium until the sugar is fully dissolved and mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, garlic, red chili flakes, (and honey if using) into the pan and whisk well to combine.
- Bring mixture to a simmer again. The sauce should begin to thicken as it cooks. Continue cooking at a low simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on desired thickness.
- Pour sauce into a heatproof bowl if using immediately, or a glass jar with a lid to store in the refrigerator. Let sauce cool completely before using or storing.
- Sauce keeps in the refrigerator for up to one month.