This Pumpkin Bread recipe has been a family tradition for years. It takes me straight back to my mother’s kitchen. It warms the house with all the spicy aromas of your fall favorites.
The recipe has several steps and I always make sure I blend each ingredient as I go along. It will add to the process and takes extra time but the end result is well worth the investment of your time.
How to make Pumpkin Bread Recipe from scratch
In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, allspice, and cinnamon and set aside
In a 5-6 quart bowl beat eggs. Add in the sugar 1/3 at a time and blend completely before adding more. Next, add oil 1/3 at a time and blend completely before adding more. Next, add pumpkin 1/2 at a time, blend thoroughly.
Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture 1 cup at a time. Blend thoroughly before adding the next cup of the flour mixture. Repeat until both mixtures are well blended.
Now you have the option of adding in the walnuts and raisins. Both are optional ingredients. I like them both and always add them. But, this is a personal preference.
This is where this recipe gets fun! There are so many options for baking that everyone will be happy with a personal favorite.
This recipe will make:
- 3 regular size loaves, plus 6 muffins or
- 2 regular loaves, 3 mini loaves, plus 6 muffins
- The options are endless and it’s up to you as to what you want to make. I like making mini loaves to bring as hostess gifts. The muffins make a great breakfast on the run or afternoon snack.
- Regular size loaves – use 3 cups of batter
- Mini loaves – use 1 cup of batter
- Muffins – use 2 large tablespoons of batter
Bake at 350°F for all sizes:
- Regular size loaves bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Mini loaves bake for 45 minutes
- Muffins bake for 25 minutes
How do you know when your bread is done?
Test the loaves and muffins to make sure they are done cooking by using a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves. It should be clean when removed. If not, add additional time to the baking process, a few minutes at a time until done.
How do you keep Pumpkin Bread moist?
- Cool bread completely on a wire rack
- When the bread is cool, wrap well, in plastic wrap or aluminum foil
- Bread can be stored for a few days at room temperature
- After a few days refrigerate, well wrapped. The bread will keep refrigerated for several weeks
What goes well with Pumpkin Bread?
If you are wondering what to serve with your Pumpkin Bread, I like to mix it up, depending on when it’s being served. In the morning, I love to pair it with our Pumpkin Spice Latte.
In the evening I serve it with vanilla ice cream or with a touch of whipped cream. Our Pumpkin Spice Latte is excellent to serve all day long!
What goes good on your Pumpkin Bread?
- Salted regular butter, Honey Butter, Cinnamon Honey Butter, our homemade Orange Honey Butter
- Apple or Pear Butter
- Cream Cheese
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- regular size muffin tins, loaf pans – large (9"x5"x3") or Mini (5"x3")
- 5 ¼ cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 4 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 29 oz can 100% pure pumpkin puree, (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour, or line with parchment paper, loaf pans. Grease and flour muffin tins, or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, ground allspice, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate 6-quart bowl, beat eggs. Add in the sugar 1/3rd at a time and blend completely before adding more sugarAdd oil 1/3rd at a time and blend completely before adding more oil Next, add pumpkin 1/2 at a time and blend thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time to the pumpkin mixture. Blend thoroughly between each addition and repeat until flour mixture is gone.
- Add in walnuts and raisins, if desired, and gently stir until well blended.
- Fill large loaf pans with 3 cups of batterFill mini loaf pans with 1 cup of batterFill muffins with about 2 Tablespoons of batter
- Bake the large loaves for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Bake mini loaves for 45 minutes. Bake muffins for 25 minutes.
- Test loaves or muffins with a wooden toothpick by inserting toothpick into the middle of each loaf, and make sure the toothpick is clean when removed. If not, add additional baking time, checking every few minutes until done, and toothpick comes out clean.