When fall comes knocking on the door I love to bring out the comfort food recipes and this Spicy Pumpkin Soup is at the top of my list. It checks off all the boxes for a warm cozy evening at home next to a roaring fire. It’s a quick and easy recipe to put together and will be a big hit with the holiday dinner crowd.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe
What I love about this recipe is it allows you to adjust the liquids and seasonings to personalize the level of thickness and heat for your individual taste! What gives this soup its kick is the cayenne pepper and fresh ginger. The remainder of the seasonings gives this soup a great flavor that will emphasize and bring out the pumpkin. Make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin puree.
Melt the butter in a 6 quart saute pan. Saute the onions on medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and ginger, blend together and saute for two more minutes.
Add curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and kosher salt. Blend together and cook for an additional two minutes.
Add in chicken stock, water and bay leaves, pumpkin puree. Mix together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then add heavy cream. Cover with a lid and simmer on low for 20 minutes. During the simmering time, you can check and adjust seasonings to taste.
Remove the bay leaves. Ladle into separate soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with a drizzle of Creme Fraiche and a few roasted pumpkin seeds.
This soup is a great starter for any meal and can make an excellent addition to your luncheon menu.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 6 quart saute pan
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup yellow onion diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced, about 3 teaspoons
- 3 tsp fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- ½ tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, adjust amount for desired spice level
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 29 oz can 100% pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- Melt butter in 6 quart saute pan. Saute onions on medium heat until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and blend together. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Blend and saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Add stock, water and bay leaves, pumpkin puree. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add heavy cream and cover. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. During simmer time you can adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove bays leaves. Garnish with a drizzle of creme fraiche and roasted pumpkin seeds.