When you want a taste of summer, even after it’s gone, mix up a refreshing Watermelon Vodka Cocktail. Top with a sprinkling of lime zest and you will feel like summer never ended.Jump to Recipe
Start with watermelon puree:
I like to puree a lot of watermelon during the summer when it is plentiful and then keep it in the freezer so I have it all winter for drinks.
To puree simply chop your melon into chunks and remove the rind. I use a super-powerful Vitamix so I don’t need to remove the black seeds because it all gets pureed. If you are hand mashing it or using a regular blender you may want to try and remove most of the seeds.
Once your watermelon is pureed you can store it in small freezer bags, or in glass jars like I do, in portions.
There are lots of fun ways to use fruit purees, such as in daiquiris, margaritas Mojitos, martinis, and lemonade.
Making a Watermelon Vodka Cocktail:
You will want this cocktail very cold so keep your vodka in the freezer if possible. If you have time, also chill your cocktail glass. If you are preparing everything at room temperature I recommend adding 1-2 ice cubes to the blender to chill the ingredients down.
Watermelon can be very sweet or a bit bland, depending on the time of the year you buy it, so be sure to taste your puree. If it’s a little bland you can always add a bit more simple syrup to this cocktail to sweeten it up. For more details on making simple syrup refer to our Blackberry Champagne Cocktail recipe.
Be sure to use freshly squeezed lime juice, and don’t forget to zest your lime first for garnish. The lime juice is important to the blend because it helps balance the sweetness of the watermelon.
Watermelon is so beautiful so be sure to garnish with a piece on the side of your cocktail glass and add a sprinkle of lime zest. It would also be fun to use this recipe added to a martini glass to make a watermelon cosmopolitan!
Watermelon Vodka Cocktail
- 1 cup watermelon puree
- 3 Tbsp Vodka, well chilled
- 1 tsp simple syrup
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1" piece watermelon, for garnish
- Chop 2 cups watermelon into chunks, removing rind, and seeds if desired. Reserve a piece with the rind on for garnish.
- Using a blender, Vitamix or hand masher, puree or mash watermelon until smooth.
- Store in a glass jar or freezer bag if not using immediately.
- Zest a lime for garnish, and then cut in half and squeeze fresh juice into small bowl.
- In a blender combine watermelon puree, chilled vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice. Combine until completely blended.
- Add to a cocktail glass, sprinkle with lime zest and garnish with a small piece of watermelon.