When you want a taste of summer, even after it’s gone, mix up a refreshing Watermelon Vodka Cocktail. Top with a sprinkling of lime zest and you will feel like summer never ended.Jump to Recipe
Making Watermelon Puree:
I like to puree a lot of watermelon during the summer when it is plentiful, and then keep it in the freezer so I have it all winter for drinks.
- Chop your melon into chunks and remove the rind
- If you use a super-powerful blender like a Vitamix you don’t need to remove the black seeds because it all gets pureed. If you are hand mashing it or using a regular blender you should try and remove most of the seeds
- Puree on high for about 30 seconds
- Once the watermelon is pureed you can store it in small freezer bags, or in glass jars, in portions
- If you want your puree to be clear strain it through a fine sieve
There are lots of fun ways to use fruit purees, such as in daiquiris, margaritas Mojitos, martinis, and lemonade.
How to make Watermelon Vodka Cocktail:
This cocktail tastes best when it’s very cold so keep your vodka in the freezer if possible. If you have time, also chill your cocktail glass. If you are preparing everything at room temperature I recommend adding 2-3 ice cubes to the blender to chill the ingredients down.
- Chill all ingredients
- Use chilled glasses, if possible
- Cut rind off of watermelon. Leave a few pieces with rind for a garnish
- Zest a lime and then cut in half and juice it
- Blend watermelon puree until smooth
- Add vodka, simple syrup and lime juice to the blender and mix for about 15 seconds
- Pour into chilled glasses
- Sprinkle with lime zest and garnish with a watermelon wedge
Watermelon can be very sweet or a bit bland, depending on the time of the year, so be sure to taste test your puree. If it’s a little bland you can add a little more simple syrup to this cocktail to sweeten it up. For more details on making easy homemade simple syrup refer to our Blackberry Champagne Cocktail recipe.
Be sure to use freshly squeezed lime juice, but don’t forget to zest your lime first to use for garnish. The lime juice is important to this watermelon and vodka cocktail because it helps balance the sweetness of the watermelon.
Serving ideas for a Watermelon Vodka Cocktail
Watermelon is so beautiful so be sure to garnish with a piece on the side of your cocktail glass and add a sprinkle of lime zest.
It’s easy to add this puree to a martini glass to make a delicious watermelon cosmopolitan!
This fun fresh cocktail only has 145 calories!
Looking for other great cocktail ideas?
- Blueberry and Vodka Cocktails
- Homemade Bloody Mary Mix and Drink Recipe
- Blood Orange Creamsicle Martinis
- Classic Aperol Spritz (Spritz Veneziano)
- Blackberry Champagne Cocktail
Watermelon Vodka Cocktail
- 1 cup watermelon puree
- 3 Tbsp Vodka, well chilled
- 1 tsp simple syrup, optional
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1" piece watermelon, for garnish
- Chop 2 cups watermelon into chunks, removing rind, and seeds if desired. Reserve a piece with the rind on for garnish.
- Using a blender, Vitamix or hand masher, puree or mash watermelon until smooth.
- Store in a glass jar or freezer bag if not using immediately.
- Zest a lime for garnish, and then cut in half and squeeze fresh juice into small bowl.
- In a blender combine watermelon puree, chilled vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice. Combine until completely blended.
- Add to a cocktail glass, sprinkle with lime zest and garnish with a small piece of watermelon.