Homemade Bloody Mary Mix is a quick and easy recipe!
It makes the perfect weekend drink and you can adjust the spiciness to your own taste
Once you make your own you’ll never want to go back to the store bought variety again because the taste is so freshJump to Recipe
Making Homemade Bloody Mary Mix:
Every great Bloody Mary starts with a perfect Bloody Mary Mix!
I bought a store made mix for years, so when I made it at home the first time I was surprised how easy and economical it was to put together. Now, I always make my own and now you can too!
Bloody Marys always remind me of girls’ weekends, lazy beach days, and fun brunches. The trend right now is to add lots of fun garnishes to your bloody. This includes everything from bacon, shrimp, pickled beans, and baby cheeseburgers!
It’s so much fun to build a “Bloody Mary Bar” for parties because the choices are endless and everyone can add their favorite garnish.
After experimenting with many different versions I came up with an easy mix. You can use this as a base and add or subtract as much spice as you would like.
How do you make Bloody Mary Mix from scratch?
- Tomato Paste:
I use tomato paste instead of tomato juice as the base because it gives the mix a richer flavor. I like the ability to add water to the paste and make it as thick or thin as I want.
For every 6-ounce can of tomato paste, add about 3.5 cups of water to create the base for the mix. I whirl mine in a blender but you can easily whisk it or shake everything in a container.
- The Spices:
This is where the fun really begins because you can tailor the mix to your own taste. This recipe is pretty classic so use these “must-have” ingredients as your guide and finesse it from there.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds a depth of flavor
- Minced fresh garlic or garlic powder – either will work
- Hot sauce – Tabasco or Cholula Hot Sauce are good choices
- Celery Salt – or celery powder
- Onion powder – or onion salt (but omit regular salt)
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed!
- Horseradish – add more or less to suit your spice level preference
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to make Bloody Marys
Once the homemade mix is made the rest is easy!
- To salt the rim of the glass: shake some celery salt onto a shallow plate. Rub lemon, lime, or water around the rim of your glasses and then dip into the celery salt.
- Add some crushed ice to the glasses.
- For each drink: Combine, in a cocktail shaker, 8-ounces of the prepared mix with 2-ounces of your favorite vodka and some crushed ice.
- Shake well and then strain into the prepared glasses.
- Add your favorite garnishes and serve.
Variations on traditional Bloody Mary
- Bloody Maria – swap the vodka for tequila
- Bloody Caesar – use Aquavit instead of vodka
- Virgin Mary – Just the mix – no alcohol!
Garnishes for delicious Bloody Marys
Here are some fun garnish ideas to try, with and without a toothpick, to hold them in place:
- Celery stalk
- Cooked piece of bacon
- A grilled or poached large piece of shrimp
- Jumbo olives stuffed with blue cheese or pimento
- Lime or lemon wedge
- Dill pickle spear
- Pickled onion or green bean
How long does bloody mary mix last in the refrigerator?
You can store the mix in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks. Keep it tightly sealed and shake occasionally as seasonings will settle to the bottom.
Have you tried Bloody Mary Shooters with Shrimp or Oysters?
Make these fun Bloody Mary Shooter appetizers with this recipe. You just need shot glasses and a few garnishes. Great for any party!
Looking for some brunch recipes to pair with Bloody Marys?
- Crustless Quiche Egg Bites
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Apples
- Baked Churro Donuts
- Cinnamon Baked Pears
Homemade Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Bloody Mary Mix
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic, about 2 cloves, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Cholula, or to taste
- 1½ tsp celery salt
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp horseradish, or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ tsp salt
Bloody Mary Drink Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp celery salt, for the rim of the glass
- 8 oz Bloody Mary Mix
- 2 oz vodka, or to taste
- Combine all Bloody Mary Mix ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds.
- High acid foods can be safely Water Bath Canned
- “Hot Water Canning” is an excellent way to preserve high-acid fruits and vegetables. It is a straight-forward and easy process and we walk you through it step-by-step.