Homemade Bloody Mary Mix is a quick and easy recipe!
It makes the perfect weekend drink and you can adjust the spiciness to your taste
Making Homemade Bloody Mary Mix:
Every great Bloody Mary starts with a perfect Bloody Mary Mix!
I bought a store made mix for years so when I made it at home the first time I was surprised how easy and economical it was to put together. Now, I always make my own and you can too!
Bloody Mary’s always remind me of girls’ weekends, lazy beach days and fun brunches. The trend right now is to add lots of fun garnishes to your bloody. This includes everything from bacon, shrimp, pickled beans and baby cheeseburgers!
It’s so much fun to build a “Bloody Mary Bar” for parties because the choices are endless and everyone can add their favorite garnish.
After experimenting with many different versions I came up with an easy mix. You can use this as a base and add or subtract as much spice as you would like.
How do you make Bloody Mary Mix from scratch?
- Tomato Paste:
I use tomato paste instead of tomato juice as the base because it gives the mix a richer flavor. I like the ability to add water to the paste and make it as thick or loose as I want. For every 6-ounce can of tomato paste, add about 3.5 cups of water to create the base for the mix. I whirl mine in a blender but you can easily whisk it or shake everything in a container.
- The Spices:
This is where the fun really begins because you can tailor to your own taste. My recipe is pretty classic so use these “must-have” ingredients as your guide and finesse it from there.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Minced fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Hot sauce: I like Tabasco or Cholula Hot Sauce
- Celery Salt
- Onion powder
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Instructions for making Bloody Mary’s
Once the mix is made the rest is easy!
- Shake some celery salt onto a shallow plate. Rub lemon, lime or water around the rim of your glasses and then dip into the celery salt. Add some crushed ice to the glasses.
- For each drink, combine, in a cocktail shaker, 8-ounces mix with 2-ounces vodka and some crushed ice. Shake well and strain into the prepared glasses. Add any garnishes.
Garnishes for delicious Bloody Mary’s
Here are some fun garnish ideas to try, with and without a toothpick, to hold them in place:
- Celery stalk
- Cooked piece of bacon
- A grilled or poached large piece of shrimp
- Jumbo olives stuffed with blue cheese or pimento
- Lime or lemon wedge
- Dill pickle spear
- Pickled onion or green bean
How long does bloody mary mix last in the refrigerator?
You can store the mix in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks. Keep it tightly sealed and shake occasionally as seasonings will settle to the bottom.
Have you tried Bloody Mary Shooters with Shrimp or Oysters?
Make these fun Bloody Mary Shooter appetizers with this recipe. You just need shot glasses and a few garnishes. Great for any party!
Looking for some brunch recipes?
- Crustless Quiche Egg Bites
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Apples
- Baked Churro Donuts
- Cinnamon Baked Pears
Homemade Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Bloody Mary Mix
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic, about 2 cloves, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Cholula, or to taste
- 1½ tsp celery salt
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp horseradish, or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ tsp salt
Bloody Mary Drink Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp celery salt, for the rim of the glass
- 8 oz Bloody Mary Mix
- 2 oz vodka, or to taste
- Combine all Bloody Mary Mix ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds.