This Grilled Artichokes Recipe with Lemon Dill Aioli is a great way to prepare and serve artichokes. With an abundance of plump artichokes at the farmer’s markets they are a seasonal favorite. You will fall in love with the flavor that grilling adds to artichokes. When paired with our Lemon Dill Aioli it takes them to an entirely new level.Jump to Recipe
How to cook Grilled Artichokes – step by step preparation:
This grilled artichokes recipe is easy to make. The trick is doing most of the cooking prior to putting them on the grill.
Just follow these easy steps:
- With a large chef’s knife cut the artichoke in half.
- Cut off the sharp pointed ends of the leaves and trim the stem down. Cutting the leaves is optional, but very showy.
- Be sure to boil or steam, the artichokes. Cook the artichokes until fully tender, but not too soft. Here’s how:
- In a large pot bring water and a large pinch of salt to a boil. Use enough water to cover artichokes
- Add artichokes, cut side down, and immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Cover pot and cook until leaves can be pulled off easily.
- For steaming, add a steam rack to the pot over water. Place the artichokes into the rack and let steam until tender.
- Cooking the artichokes will take about 30 minutes until fully cooked, steaming might take a little longer.
- Drain artichokes well, with a spoon. Clean out the fuzzy choke, which is not edible, and discard it, we use a spoon to do this step.
- Now it’s time to give them a nice “garlic bath”. In a separate bowl mix olive oil, garlic, and pepper.
- Using a basting brush, brush both sides of the artichoke with the bath.
Now it’s time to finish the artichokes on the grill. Set temperature on the grill to medium heat. Cook artichokes, cut side down, around 4 to 5 minutes, or until they show light grill marks. Turn and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
Keep an eye on them so they do not over grill. To test if they are done you can poke a knife into the stem and it should easily give in. Remove from the grill and enjoy!
Serving the perfect Grilled Artichokes with Lemon Dill Aioli:
Artichokes are great straight off the grill, but we love them with our tasty Lemon Dill Aioli. You can make it in just 2 minutes while the artichokes are steaming.
The lemon dill aioli can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s easy to make: just combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dill in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
To serve the grilled artichokes with lemon dill aioli, simply present them on a plate or platter, with the dipping sauce alongside.
This simple presentation makes it easy for you to focus on any other cooking you need to do. We love to serve them alongside our Pan Seared Scallops
Are Artichokes healthy for you?
Artichokes have the added benefit of being low in calories (just 20 calories per half) and they are high in anti-oxidants.
If you prep the artichokes ahead of time be sure to rub the cut edges with lemon, or another acid, like white vinegar. This keeps them from browning. We are California based so we live for ‘choke season and knowing they are healthy makes us even happier. Here’s a good resource to see all the benefits of artichokes: http://artichokes.org/recipes-and-such/health-and-nutrition
Enjoy these additional side dishes on our site:
Grilled Artichokes Recipe with Lemon Dill Aioli
- Large stockpot
- Steamer basket
- 2 large Artichokes, trimmed and cut in half stem to tip
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp Black pepper
Lemon Dill Aioli
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Dill, or 2 tbsp Fresh Dill
Prepare the Artichokes:
- To steam the artichokes, start a large pot, filled about 2 inches full of salted water, to boil. Heat BBQ to medium heat
- Trim artichokes by cutting off the sharp tips off of the leaves, and trim the stem. Cut the artichokes in half stem to tip, and clean out the fuzzy artichoke center.
- Steam, covered, in lightly salted water for about 30 minutes, cut side down, in a steamer basket.
- Remove the fuzzy choke center with a spoon
- Mix olive oil, garlic, and pepper together in a small bowl. Remove artichokes from the pot and drain. Coat all over with olive oil mixture. Grill for about cut side down about 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Do not over cook. If the artichokes are done you will be able to easily pierce the stem.
Lemon Dill Aioli
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dill in a small serving bowl and mix well. Add more to taste, if desired. Set aside until ready to serve.Can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated.
- Remove artichokes from the grill and place on a plate or shallow serving dish, together with the lemon dill aioli and serve. Can be served hot or at room temperature. Cut in quarters for appetizers.